The Sylvia Wright Action Group (SWAG) is based in and around Leeds. Its main aims are to:
- spread the word about Sylvia Wright and the work she is doing
- extend and improve the impact of the Trust
- address new challenges in UK & India
- set up productive dialogue with key supporters
- give more detailed information/briefing than possible at public meetings
- generate feedback, new ideas & fresh impetus to SWT
- identify and encourage supporters with specific skills to take a more active role in SWT
- promote SWT in schools, colleges and Universities
- find new venues and recruit new speakers
- draw people from a wider range of backgrounds, age groups, locations and faiths
- create a forum for sounding out new ideas
- meet and talk to Sylvia in person (usually once a year)
There are 3 SWAG meetings a year. It is an informal and flexible group. We keep paper work to a minimum and much of the 'action' takes place outside the meetings. It is good to have such a committed, friendly and active group of supporters. If you think you could help us to meet any of the aims set out above please get in touch.
A recent Bag Pack and Store Collection at Sainsbury's in Otley, organised by SWAG, achieved its objective of spreading the word about Sylvia's work over the last 32 years. We also raised £685 and gave out hundreds of leaflets and Newsletters as well as 100 DVDs to shoppers who wanted to learn more. It was also good fun for those who took part and we were delighted that Sylvia popped in to see us at work!
The next SWAG meeting will be on Thursday 3 April 2014 - 12.30 pm for 1.00pm at Holy Name Parish Centre, Otley Old Road, Leeds. Everybody welcome!
New members are always made very welcome. Please contact Tony Hartigan on 01943 851431 for further information.
Some members of SWAG with Sylvia in April 2012